Thursday, June 26, 2008

SAO PAULO: DAY 5

Monday:

Today I ventured to centro or downtown Sao Paulo. Av. Paulista is located on a ridge in the city, so it is used as a navigation point. The places I have visted so far have been located on the opposite side of this ridge from centro...

Centro is dense and the streets are more like the financial district in Manhattan with the street life of Canal Street. Hence, lots of selling on the streets--pirated movies, thongs and bras, lighters, bongs, and every once in a while an interesting find such as a model of a spider.

Here in centro are some important artifacts for the city. Two of the main cathedrals are located here in addition to the first school and church at the 'zero' point--i.e. centro-- of the city. The age of the buildings here predate the city on Av. Paulista and the others side of the ridge. To see it all, there is an art deco tower that has an observation tower at its top 40+ stories above the city. Although there is no fee to reach the top, I had to sign a piece of paper and have my photo taken for security...I was later told there had been an increase of suicides, so the waiver I just signed took the responsibility off from the building and in my hands. Once I reached the top, I understood the need for the waiver...the parapet is waist high and there is nothing else to keep you from stepping over the edge! Although the weather has been overcast, the view was still worth while.

Afterwards, I was able to find the city market in what I believe is located in a refurbished train depot...The bays and the openings seem to recall train platforms, but I have yet to confirm this...the building might just as well be built for the purpose of selling as well...

In any case, it is a huge collection of fruits, meats, seafood, and spices with cafes located on a mezzanine level to observe the spectacle below.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Is there a language barrier -I know you do not speak Portuguese -do alot of people there know English like Europe? I know you are on architecture but give us more on social side/customs and i am sure some funny happenings - like the skinny sidewalk with the thorn bushes and walking up and down hills