Sunday, June 29, 2008

RIO DE JANEIRO: DAY 1

R.G.:

I arrived in Rio in the evening and proceeded to my hotel located in the Copacabana section of the city. I had thought that the hotel was one block off of the beach, but was surprised to find out that not only was I 4 blocks (yikes) from the beach, my 2nd floor room faced AWAY from the beach! I have a great view of the metro stop conveniently located across the street from the hotel...time for a capirinha.

Although I have been told not to walk around Rio by yourself after dark, I throw this aside and make my way to the Av Atlantico promenade. Although it is dark, I can tell this will be an amazing view in the morning...I find myself a nice hotel to crash. A rooftop bar awaits.

I have learned from previous experiences not to tell the hotel bar (at least in a foreign country) that you are not staying in their hotel...service drops significantly. So, on the elevator ride to the top, I learned there are 25 floors here and when asked which room I was staying in I responded something to the likes of '20....' and mumble the rest...then just say you'll pay cash and they wisk you away to the outdoor table with the view. Much better than my 2nd floor metro stop view...haha.

1 comment:

vsoars said...

Hi Chris,

I am enjoying your travel log; you have taken me to a part of the world I've never seen and provided vivid details about structure of the city. I'm glad you have used your initative and ingenuity for nobel causes. (capirinha being an essential one. I purchased a bottle of Pitu Cachaca to toast your discoveries.)

Please be careful around your hotel. Erika had a gun put to her head by bandits outside her Rio hotel.