Monday, June 23, 2008

DAY 3: SAO PAULO

Saturday: I walked from the hotel to Paulo Mendes da Rocha's Museu Brasilero de Escultura (MuBE). The walk from Av. Paulista to this musuem traverses along the ridge and then downhill to the valley passing many affluent neighborhoods in the city. It was a nice 1 1/2hr warm-up walk!

However, when I got to the museum, it appeared closed...which only after walking around the entire complex did I find a small gate open to which the attendant allowed me to come in and visit. Hence, I had the entire place to myself! Very nice!

The museum is a substantial concrete structure that is broken into smaller galleries and then stacked and interlocked together with a very interesting section. Part of the museum appears carved into the site, but the major exterior plaza (like MASP) is a hardscape above these galleries. Since the galleries have hardscape above, natural light is brought into the spaces through a series of slots, sometimes for circulation and others for water/planting features..the pictures might help to understand what I mean...see the link below.

After some time there, I began the trek up the hill to the hotel...this time, not as easy with the 20lbs. camera grafted to my back as a hump...but oh well.

I was able to locate a theater near the hotel that gives free concerts (!!) so I was able to get a ticket to hear two concerts. Brazil hosted a competition to find the most talented musicians in the country. After 2000 submittals, the board identified the top 50 and they are dispersed across Brazil to perform and rotate between major ports of call. So, I heard two groups tonight. One, was an absolutely spectacular saxophone quartet w/ percussion that was a mix of jazz and 'modern' music...not sure how to describe, but it was exceptionally entertaining. The second group was from north Brazil comprised of 2 flautists and 3 percussionists. I was told this was more like the sounds from the Amazon. Again, I was super impressed but the real highlight was the fact that one of the fife players was a 92 year old woman! She was electricfying and the entire audience was blown away. I can only wish for this this much energy when I am that age...she was and is amazing.


http://picasaweb.google.com/christopher.kitterman/SAOPAULODAY3

No comments: