Sunday, June 22, 2008

DAY 2: SAO PAULO

Saturday: after the capirinha buzz, I decided to visit the Parque Ibirapuera--home to the MAM (Museu de Arte Moderne), MAC (Museu de Arte Contemporanea), OCA, and others with landscape by Burle Marx.

The park itself is pretty extensive with multiple resevoirs and open fields for play with the cultural institutions creating an enclave connected by a sinuous concrete awning.

The MAM is having an exhibition about the cultural relations between Brazil and Japan; hence the art was dedicated to these exchanges of design, art, and living.

Unfortunately the OCA was closed preparing for a new exhibition. This building by Neimeyer is a concrete dome with circular apetures punctured evenly around the base. From the photos I have seen of the interior, there are these amazing ramps that define the exhibition space on the interior...I will try to revisit before I leave Sao Paulo...

While in walking the park, I found this rather amazing tree that I have no earthly idea what the species is, but it has these limbs that remind me of a willow tree, but are much more dense in quantity especially around the trunk.

link to photos, day 2: http://picasaweb.google.com/christopher.kitterman/SAOPAULODAY2

No comments: