Monday, June 23, 2008

DAY 4: SAO PAULO

Sunday:

It was my goal this morning when I got up to visit the 'forma' store by Paulo Mendes da Rocha--same architect as the MuBE. It is located somewhat close to the MuBE, but I decided to try my luck with a taxi since I got a late start. What is the equivalent of 25$ later, I arrived at the forma only to find out it was closed! So, I had the taxi keep going to cross on of the major rivers of Sao Paulo to drop me off at the Sao Paulo Jockey Club. Ok, I don't bet on horses, but I have read that this facility is supposed to be a nice Art Deco design and is supposed to have a spectacular view of the city. 30$ for what was a 15 minute cab ride...that was my splurge for the trip!

The stadium was designed by Elisaro Bahiano and Victor Brecheret--the sequence from the porte corchet to the viewing platform is very dramatic to say the least. Once there, the track becomes the foreground for a wall of buildings beyond...nice drinks, too. :-)

Out of money for the day, I begin my trek back across the river to the jardins area...moving across 8 lanes of fast moving traffic with my 'hump' was basically committing suicide, but I was able to survive the frogger game!

It was a 50 min walk to the MuBE, which then was another 1 1/2 hours to the hotel...uphill.

I was able to find a Sao Paulo city musuem with artifacts from its colonial period and a revisit to the MuBE to help break up the walk. The former had a presentation of a Japanese artist's photographs of living in Sao Paulo (just ok) and the MuBE had a antiques fair and a presentation of Italian residential furnishings...mostly Poliform. Thank you JSA...

Back in time for one more free concert--this was a string quartet playing music by modern Brazilian composers and the second act was an A Capella group again from the Amazon section of Brazil. The first act was, again, amazing. The second act was was mostly older women who were singing well beyond their ages of 80+.

No comments: