Tuesday, July 1, 2008

R.G. DAY 5,6

RIO DE JANEIRO:

SUNDAY:

Today, I take the ferry from Rio across the bay to Niteroi...the equivalent of Oakland to San Fran.

Here, is another Niemeyer museum, the Museu de Arte Contemporanea located on a point in which Rio and the Sugar Loaf become the backdrop for the fluid concrete construction. Resting on a small base, the museum is basically a huge cantilever peering out over the bay. The galleries are small, but I think what people come to see are the view and this building speaking to the sugar loaf in the distance.

Tonight, I had dinner and drinks with some Columbians (Bogata) that have befriended me...one is a chef, so I have someone who can choose what to eat here at a nice spot in Ipanema. We tried to find a place that I would have assumed to be bliss...what is translated to the school of cachaça (yum), but it is not in the neighborhood or close by...so no go.

MONDAY:

I do what I give other persons a hard time for...I joined a tour to see the Corcovado and the Cristo Redemer. Since you have to pass through many favellas to get to the summit, I thought it would be safer and cheaper than taking a taxi to the park. Also, we make other stops in the city that I have yet to see, so this is a go.

What should be the most prominent point in all of Rio is unfortunately a viewing platform in the clouds. Every day has been clear, except today. Although what glimpses I get of the city below, the experience to see the Cristo up close is spectacular.

more later..

http://picasaweb.google.com/christopher.kitterman/RIODEJANEIRODAYS456

No comments: